Texas Elder Abuse Statistics for website
(source: Texas Department of Family and Protective Services and National Center on Elder Abuse)
- There are 3,225,614 Texas residents aged 65 or older.
- In 2016, Texas Adult Protective Services completed 83,534 investigations into elder abuse.
- There were 51,608 cases of confirmed abuse, neglect, or exploitation.
- 73% were cases of physical neglect, 16% were cases of medical neglect, 2% were cases of physical neglect, and the remaining cases involved emotional abuse, financial exploitation, and sexual abuse.
- In 2016, Texas Adult Protective Services completed 19,346 investigations of abuse, neglect, or exploitation involving service providers.
- 1,243 of these cases were confirmed.
- Of the confirmed cases, 57% were cases of neglect, 11% were cases of exploitation, 10% were cases of emotional abuse, and 1% were cases of sexual abuse.
- 50% of people with dementia experience some kind of abuse.
- A medical provider reports the suspicion of elder abuse 8% of the time.
- The most common allegation of abuse against the elderly is physical neglect with 4% of the reported cases being physical neglect.
- 38% of the perpetrators of elder abuse are the adult children of the victim.
- 8% of the perpetrators of elder abuse are service providers.
- 9% of the victims are female.
- Financial abuse costs the elderly population an estimated $2.9 billion dollars annually (MetLife Mature Market Institute).